Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lucky Girl.

"Meem, do you know where Hobbes is?" This is something I hear often as Calvin is getting ready for bed, and I have to admit, as soon as I hear the words, I get a bit anxious inside..."oh no, what if we can't find him?" But we always do, Hobbes is never that far away. Glenn laughs at me and says that I love Hobbes more than Calvin does, but it's not possible. Our little boy has twiddled the face right off of that Tiger, and if that's not love, I don't know what is. It's the kind of love that carves deep; deep within the soul of a little boy still learning what love is all about and amazingly, despite all he has been through, Hobbes continues to mentor Calvin in the ways of this God driven unconditional connectedness.

This brave Tiger has been peed on, barfed on, lost, found, sewn, disemboweled, stuffed in a sock and thrown into the washer more times then his little body can handle, and yet he still survives. He has become a part of our family, we talk about him as if he was real....I mean really real...odd, I know, but it just sort of happened and I wont make any apologies for the relationship.

The special bond that has weaved its way into the heart of my boy is like no other. Hobbes represents security, warmth, best friendship, and comfort. He is who Calvin asks for when he is sad, tired or hurt. Hobbes has become a part of who Calvin is, and it is beautiful. If you ask Calvin what he will do with Hobbes when he gets married, the answer is a certain, "Hobbes will sleep in the middle."

What a lucky girl......

Precious.

3 comments:

  1. I can't stop laughing! That's so unbelievably precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, I LOVE this post. What an incredible capture of a true child moment and of a bond everyone is looking for, young or small. I love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hobbes is so important to him. Everybody needs something like that. Most important, God.
    Meghan xo (you're here for BBS.)

    ReplyDelete